Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
Prep time: 50 minutes
Bake time: 35 minutes
Serves/makes: 16 small slices
A caramelized fruit topping baked onto the softest, most delicious vanilla cake, thanks to Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 or 5 rhubarb stalks, roughly 12" in length
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Did you make this recipe? Let me know by tagging @sugarbutterflourbakery or #sugarbutterflourbakery on Instagram :)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and line a square 9 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment.
- Sprinkle the first measurement of granulated sugar across the parchment. Cut each rhubarb stalk in half lengthwise. Lay the rhubarb pieces over top of the sugar, cutting to fill holes and create a fresh design.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or using a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and well-blended. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Pour the dry mixture over the wet and mix to combine. Carefully pour the completed batter over the arranged rhubarb pieces.
- Bake for about 35 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cake is done baking, it will turn a golden brown on top and a skewer inserted will come out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before turning the cake out and peeling away the parchment. Serve bottom-side up and, if desired, with a dusting of powdered sugar.