Join me in celebrating #NationalWhiteChocolateDay everyday with this decadent layer cake! Layers of caramelized white chocolate cake, ganache, and buttercream make this day extra special!
This cake has been made possible by Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk. The subtle incorporation of sweetened condensed milk in the batter allows this cake to be prepared with less sugar, and gives it a beautifully moist texture. Don't believe me? Grab some Eagle Brand® for yourself and get baking!
Caramelizing white chocolate
One little note before we get into the recipe: how to caramelize white chocolate. It may sound intimidating, but I promise it's super duper easy. Caramelizing your white chocolate cuts through the sweetness with a delicious, nutty flavour (almost like butterscotch). If you would rather not bother making caramelized white chocolate at home, feel free to buy it from the store, or just use regular white chocolate.
To make this recipe, I lay my white chocolate morsels out on a baking sheet, put them into the oven, shmear them around, and repeat. Other recipes may advise melting the chocolate and using a different method, but this is the process I have found to work flawlessly 4+ times while I was testing this recipe, so it is what I'm sticking to.
Now, I must warn you: there is an insanely delicious recipe ahead. Beware!
Caramelized White Chocolate
Prep/wait time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour
Serves/makes: 12 slices
Layers of caramelized white chocolate cake, ganache, and buttercream make this cake extra special - made using Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
For the ganache:
- 220 grams caramelized white chocolate
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
For the cake:
- 160 grams caramelized white chocolate
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk or cream
For the buttercream:
- 1 1/2 cups softened unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Did you make this recipe? Let me know by tagging @sugarbutterflourbakery and #sugarbutterflourbakery on Instagram :)
- Preheat oven to 300 F/148 C. Gather the total amount of white chocolate required for this recipe (380 grams) and spread out onto a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, spread white chocolate (now a light golden brown colour) with an offset spatula. Return to oven for another fifteen minutes, then shmear around again on the baking sheet. Food process for 30 seconds (if desired, for a smoother texture) or simply press into a firm square on the sheet. Chill for at least one hour and chop once cooled.
- Prepare the ganache: place the caramelized white chocolate and milk or cream in separate bowls. Heat the cream until simmering. Pour over the chocolate and let sit for 30 seconds before stirring until a uniform mixture is formed. Chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F/176 C. Prepare the cake: in a large heat-proof bowl, place the caramelized white chocolate and unsalted butter. Melt and stir together until fully liquified. Add in Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk and mix to combine. Mix in eggs, one at a time, stirring between each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir together the dry ingredients of the cake (all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon). Fold into the wet mixture and mix well to combine. Stir in milk or cream in two additions, mixing until incorporated. Divide the batter into two greased 7" cake pans. Bake in preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the buttercream: place softened unsalted butter in the bowl of a hand or stand mixer. Mix at low speed, slowly adding in the first cup of powdered sugar. Once incorporated, add in the remaining powdered sugar. Turn off mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Return to medium-high speed and stream in the milk or cream and vanilla extract. Mix for another 30 seconds, then turn off mixer and transfer the buttercream to a piping bag.
- To assemble: spread out the cakes, chilled bowl of ganache, piping bag of buttercream, and offset spatula on a clean work surface. Slice each cake in half horizontally to make 4 total layers. Lay the first layer down (on desired serving dish) and pipe a dam with the buttercream around the rim. Spread half of the chilled ganache on top. Place the next layer above it and pipe on buttercream to spread. Place the next layer on top, repeating the dam and filling method. Place the final cake layer on top and pipe the remaining buttercream onto the top and sides of the cake. Spread with offset spatula.
- Slice and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.